Höganäs Keramik AB is a ceramics factory in Höganäs, in the southern parts of Sweden. The company was founded in 1909 and was originally called Andersson & Johansson Lergodsfabrik (Earthenware Factory). Sigfrid Johansson was the glaze master and his colleague Karl Andersson the thrower.
The ceramics manufacturing was quite modest in the beginning, but after just five years they participated in the Baltic Exhibition in Malmö. During the 1920s, the factory expanded to make room for five potters’ wheels and in the 1930s they made their first own collections including ovenproof kitchenware.
The factory doubled its size in the 1940s and in 1948 was converted into a limited company operations. During the important H55 exhibition in Helsingborg, they launched the ceramics series “Old Höganäs”. Famous artists including John Andersson, Signe Persson-Melin and Hertha Bengtsson were tied to the factory.
In the 1970s, they turned over all production from earthenware to stoneware. At this time, they also went from craft to industrial production. In the 1990s, the company was acquired by Boda Nova and in early 2000s there was yet a new owner, the Finnish Iittala Group. The Höganäs factory was closed in 2008 and all production moved to China.